All photos by Diana DeRosa/PCLI
PCLI board member David North unveiled a PCLI-funded marker for WGBB.
Working with the Village of Freeport and the Freeport Historical Society, the Press Club of Long Island dedicated a marker on Aug. 20 in tribute to WGBB, 1240 AM, the Island’s first commercial radio station, founded 95 years ago.
David North, a PCLI board member and member of the Historic Marker Committee, did the honors and spoke of the importance of community-based journalism, in particular, community radio.
Roughly 30 people attended the dedication ceremony, including Freeport Mayor Robert Kennedy, PCLI President Scott Brinton, PCLI Secretary Diana DeRosa, members of the Freeport Historical Society, and WGBB on-air talent and alumni.
The Press Club thanks the Village of Freeport, Mayor Kennedy and the Historical Society for their support in this project.
For the Press Club’s video of this event, click here.
For Newsday’s story on the dedication, click here.
For the Freeport Herald Leader’s story on the dedication, click here.