PCLI Historic Studies
The Press Club of Long Island formed its historic studies committee in 2015. The purpose of the committee is to help honor the history of journalism on Long Island.
PCLI has historic marker placed in Village of Hempstead for Newsday
The Press Club of Long Island initiated a project that saw a historic marker placed in the Village of Hempstead that recognized the spot where Newsday was first printed in 1940.
During a ceremony on April 14, members of local government, Newsday officials and Press Club board members met to commemorate the unveiling of the historic sign.
PCLI has historic marker placed in Village of Huntington for The Long-Islander
The Press Club of Long Island had its second historic marker placed in Huntington to commemorate the spot where Walt Whitman first published The Long-Islander in 1838.
A ceremony was held on May 31 with local government officials, members of the current Long-Islander staff, and Press Club board members.
PCLI places historic marker at estate of William Cullen Bryant, longtime editor of New York Evening Post
The waterfront Roslyn Harbor home of Bryant (1794-1878) was a magnet for artists and writers who traveled there in the mid-1800s to consult with Bryant, a well-known poet, editor, writer and critic.
The new marker celebrates Bryant’s role as editor of The New York Evening Post from 1829 to 1878. As editor, Bryant pushed for the abolition of slavery, champions American art libraries and parks and supported Abraham Lincoln and the Union cause during the Civil War.
A ceremony was held at Cedarmere the name of the estate, on April 22, 2017.
The Press Club is looking at honoring other sites of historic significance for Long Island journalism and will post future projects on this page.