Long Island Journalism Hall of Fame
The Press Club of Long Island, a chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, launched the Long Island Journalism Hall of Fame in 2104 to recognize trailblazing journalists, past and present.
The first inductees included all previous recipients of the annual PCLI Outstanding Long Island Journalist Award, the group’s highest honor to an individual. Starting in 2014 the award was replaced by induction into the Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame includes prominent Long Island journalists of the past, starting with Walt Whitman, one of America’s greatest poets and the founder of The Long-Islander, a newspaper that continues to serve the Huntington area.
The criteria for induction requires that they be someone who has made a significant contribution to Long Island journalism, or be a Long Islander who has made contributions to journalism beyond Long Island.
The inaugural induction took place at the PCLI Media Awards dinner, June 5, at the Woodbury Country Club, while commemorating PCLI’s 40th anniversary.
In 2015, the PCLI board voted to add the “PCLI Contributors Wing” to the hall and inducted longtime board member and former president Bill Bleyer into the hall as its first inductee.
PCLI was established June 27, 1974, as an independent press club and became a chapter of SPJ in the early 1980s.
Hall of Fame Inductees, Class of 2016
- Marie Colvin, The Sunday Times
- Frank Eltman, Associated Press
- Les Payne, Newsday
- Vicky Katz Whitacker, PCLI
Hall of Fame Inductees, Class of 2015
- Bill Bleyer, Newsday
- Shelly Feuer Domash, LI Press
- Harry Guggenheim, Newsday
- Susan Murphy, WALK-FM
- Alicia Patterson, Newsday
Hall of Fame Inductees, Class of 2014 (inaugural class)
- Dennis Bell, Newsday
- Rick Brand, Newsday
- Frank Brinka, WALK-FM
- Scott Brinton, Herald Community Newspapers
- Greg Cergol, WNBC-TV
- Kieran Crowley, NY Post
- Charles Dolan, Cablevision/News 12 Networks
- Pat Dolan, News 12 Networks
- Ken Eckhardt, LI News Tonight
- Doug Geed, News 12 Long Island
- Robert W. Greene, Hofstra University
- Karl Grossman, freelance journalist
- Walt Handelsman, Newsday
- Carolyn James, ACJ Communications
- Robert Keeler, Newsday
- John L. Kominicki, Long Island Business News
- Hank Logeman, UPI
- Ed Lowe, Newsday
- Sandra Peddie, Newsday
- Howard Schneider, Newsday
- Paul Schreiber, Newsday
- Doug Spero, WNBC-TV
- Walt Whitman, Long Islander
- Steve Wick, Newsday
- Bob Wolff, News 12 Long Island
- Bill Zimmerman, News 12 Long Island