The Press Club of Long Island offers three scholarships at its annual Media Awards dinner.
COLLEGE JOURNALISM SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS: Recognize outstanding college journalists who either attend a Long Island college or live on Long Island but attend college elsewhere. One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded. Nomination letters must be submitted by the student’s adviser, editor, station manager or professor that detail the candidate’s qualifications. Nominations must include three samples of the candidate’s work and a brief essay by the nominee on his/her goals in journalism.
LEARNING DISABILITY JOURNALISM SCHOLARSHIP: Eligibility is limited to college students or high school seniors in or entering a college journalism program having a learning disability as defined by the Learning Disabilities Association of America. Applicants must submit an essay showing how their learning disability did not dissuade them from pursuing their interest in journalism. One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded. A nomination letter must be submitted by the student’s adviser, editor, station manager or professor.
HANK LOGEMAN/NEWS 12 LONG ISLAND HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISM AWARD: In memory of UPI reporter and Mineola pressroom veteran Hank Logeman, who was an influence on many journalists throughout the years. The award is designed to support and promote high school journalism on Long Island. The $2,000 scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding high school journalist/broadcaster, newspaper, or radio station that does the most to promote high school journalism on Long Island. Entries must include a nomination letter. Judging will be done by representatives of News 12 Long Island and the Press Club of Long Island.
Special Awards and Scholarships
- Except where noted, the special awards and scholarships will be judged by the Press Club of Long Island executive board
- All entries must include a nomination letter
- There are no entry fees to submit nominations for these special awards and scholarships
- Deadline for special media awards: April 1, 2017
- Please send all special media award and scholarship nominations to: Chris R. Vaccaro, Associate Adjunct Professor, Department of Journalism, Hofstra University, School of Communication, Hempstead, N.Y. 11549.