The Press Club of Long Island and Society of Professional Journalists sponsored a free freedom of information workshop in Southampton, N.Y. on Wednesday.
Access Across America is a national FOI training tour for journalists sponsored by the Sigma Delta Chi Foundation, National Freedom of Information Coalition and the University of Arizona School of Journalism to spread training in acquiring public records.
The event was moderated by Michael Morisy of the Boston Globe, formerly of TechTarget, and a co-founder of the public records website MuckRock.
This free training session included:
- Ideas for document-based stories, on deadline or projects.
- Strategies for effective records requests, overcoming denials and lowering fees
- Psychological skills for getting officials to give you what you need without going to court.
- Rousing inspiration for doing great journalism in tough times.
- Participants will receive handouts with story ideas and records resources.