It’s time again for the Press Club of Long Island’s Annual Media Awards Competition, recognizing outstanding work in print, broadcast and online journalism in 2012.
The competition has been totally reorganized for 2013 with new divisions and categories. All entries again will be submitted online through a web-based entry system at BetterBNC.com
With many media and journalists now producing work on multiple media platforms, after many years under the old format all the divisions have been reorganized for the 2013 competition into seven new divisions: Narrative, Video, Radio, Visual, Social Media, Student Journalism, and Special Awards and Scholarships. Each division includes categories organized by topic.
Descriptions of the new divisions:
- Anything written and published in either daily or weekly newspapers, magazines and stories appearing online should now be entered in the “Narrative” division, under the appropriate category.
- Any original video broadcast formats including television, cable television and online television and video should now be entered in the “Video” division under the appropriate category.
- Any original radio broadcasts and podcasts should now be entered in the “Radio” division under the appropriate category.
- Any original published images, photographs, illustrations, layouts and cartoons should now be entered in the “Visual” division under the appropriate category.
- Any blogs and Twitter, Facebook and Instagram postings maintained by individuals and organizations, should now be entered in the “Social Media” division under the appropriate category.
- Any student-produced journalistic work should now be entered in the “Student Journalism” division under the appropriate category.
- The “Special Awards and Scholarships” division (formerly called “All Media Awards”) includes the awards for Outstanding LI Journalist, Robert Greene Public Service Award, Phil Spahn Memorial Award, James Murphy Cub Reporter of the Year and the college and high school scholarship awards.
Panels of judges from other regions will choose the winners, except the Special Awards and Scholarships, which will be judged by the PCLI board.
As in past years, the first entry for Press Club of Long Island members is FREE. You can check if your membership is current at www.spj.org
The fee for all other entries is $25 per entry for professionals and $10 for student entries.
There are also changes in the following rules, so please read them carefully, enter early and plan to attend the awards dinner on June 5, 2013, at the Woodbury Country Club.
All entries must be submitted online at: http://www.pcli.org/2013-pcli-media-awards/ (you can get to the BetterBNC.com site by clicking any of the wordings of ENTER HERE). Select the 2013 Press Club of Long Island Media Awards Competition. IMPORTANT: Please use a version of Mozilla Firefox 3.0 or higher for a better entry experience.
The final deadline for entries is March 10, 2013